Buy what's in season
The secret of great seafood cooking is to buy the best fish in season. Getting seasonal fish means the fish are abundant and good quality. It's the way to sustain healthy fish stocks and can be much cheaper for you to buy!
It is our intention to source, select and deliver fresh, tasty and seasonal seafood across our nation for many generations to come. The Cornish Fishmonger is committed to a sustainability policy with the following objectives.
• Reduce Environmental Impacts
• Support Local Fishing Industry
Care for marine life in Cornwall
We believe everyone must play a role in supporting sustainable fishing practices and maintaining healthy fish sources in the waters surrounding our country.
We make regular contributions to support the work of the National Lobster Hatchery, helping them to nurture local lobster stocks and preserve the coastal marine bio-diversity of Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly. Learn more...
Conservation technology for fishing
Apart from conserving the commercially important species in Cornish waters, our Cornish fishing fleets also support conservation measures that reduce the effects of fishing activities on other vulnerable marine animals.
For example, electronic sonar emitters have been introduced and installed on Cornish fishing vessels where appropriate. These devices send out a warning sound audible to citation dolphins, alerting them that there are fishing nets in the area. Such technology has proved to be very efficient in preventing dolphin by-catch.
- When will my order arrive?
- Our courier operates overnight for your next day delivery. Fresh seafood ordered by 10:00am can be delivered to your door next day - home delivery within 24 hours across the UK.
Please note: For next day delivery, we must recieve your order by 10:00am. Some northern Scottish postcodes are subject to a two day delivery service.
- What happens if I'm not home?
- If you know you are going to to be unavailable to sign for your box, please leave special instructions for the driver by inputting your message to the 'delivery instruction' box during the checkout process. The courier company will leave your delivery wherever you specify, however as you were not available to sign for your fish order, we cannot accept liabilty if it is not there when you return.
- How is the seafood packaged for delivery?
- Your seafood is bagged and ready to cook or freeze on delivery. All your fish will be vacuum packed or sealed in trays, all labeled with use by dates and a suggested frozen shelf life (around 6 months). Once your fish has been packaged to keep it in prime condition we place it into a lined insulated polystyrene box. The fish is surrounded with chilled gel packs to keep it cool and in perfect condition.
Ordering fish online
- Provenance - how does this work for fish?
- We know the name of the fishing boat (in most cases we know the skippers name), where the vessel has been fishing, what he has caught and when the catch was landed. We can also tell you who filleted or prepared your fish - complete traceability!
- Is your fish sustainably sourced?
- We strive constantly to buy our seafood from sustainable sources, most of our seafood is purchased from within Cornwall. When you buy frozen seafood, most of which comes via wholesalers, who buy from the global market. We care about our fish and fishermen and will do everything within our power to preserve and strengthen our fishing communities.
- What will I be charged for my fresh fish?
- You will only be charged for the exact START weight of your chosen fish, before any preparation (filleting/steaking etc).
- When you select a fish to purchase, you will see the number of people the fish will feed (number of portions), a price per kilo and an approximate weight. Our commitment to you is: your fish will vary in weight by no more than 20%. In practice we normally manage a variance of less than 10%; in many cases we can match the exact weight.