1 hr 4
Recipe Type: RECIPE_TYPE
The kids will love these small and crispy cod bites with all the tasty moreish charm of popcorn.
- Cod popcorn
150g plain flour
10g baking powder
200g cod fillet, 1cm dice
2 shallots, chopped
2 spring onions, chopped
1 pinch of salt
1 pinch of black pepper
1l vegetable oil
Potato and cucumber salad
4 large potatoes
2 tbsp buttermilk
1 cucumber, peeled and cut into ribbons
2 tbsp mayonnaise
1 bunch of chives, chopped
1 pinch of salt
- First, prepare the batter for the cod fillet. Add the flour and baking powder to a bowl, pour in the milk and whisk to form a thick pancake-like batter. If too thick, add a little milk to loosen.
- Fold in the diced cod, shallots and spring onions. Season with salt and pepper and set aside. To prepare the salad, rinse and scrub the potatoes. Use an apple corer to punch out cylinders in the potatoes.
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Add the potato cylinders and simmer over a medium heat until almost cooked, approximately 15 minutes.
- Once cooked, use a slotted spoon to gently remove the potatoes from the water, transfer to a container or salad bowl and set aside.
- Heat a deep-fat fryer to 150 degrees centigrade. Alternatively, fill a deep saucepan with oil to a third of the way up. Caution: hot oil can be dangerous.
- Use a teaspoon to carefully drop pieces of the cod mixture into the hot oil. Fry until golden for about 3-4 minutes.
- Remove the cod popcorn carefully with a slotted spoon. Drain on kitchen towel.
- Meanwhile, combine the cucumber ribbons and potatoes in a large bowl. In a small bowl, mix the buttermilk, mayonnaise and chives and spoon into the bowl with the potatoes and cucumber.
- Divide the cod popcorn onto plates and serve alongside the cucumber and potato salad
- With thanks to GreatBritishChefs.com