Potted Crab Meat with Martini
10 mins 6
A traditional Victorian starter that can be prepared in advance for dinners & parties.
- This dish suits any small container, from a fancy mix and match of coffee cups to glass tumblers, as long as they hold 5 fl oz.
- Place the brown crab meat into a food processor or blender, add the cayenne pepper, mace, and dry martini. Blend until you have a smooth paste.
- Fold the mixture into the white crab meat using a metal spoon.
- Melt the unsalted butter and leave to cool to room temperature. Gently mix with the crab meat when it is cold.
- Spoon the mixture into the pots and smooth the surface with the back of the spoon. Place in the fridge to set.
- Melt the salted butter in a saucepan, add the olive oil and leave to cool, settle and separate.
- Have ready a jar that is large enough to allow a sieve to rest on top. Gently pour the melted butter through the sieve into the jar and leave the watery liquid in the pan.
- Spread a thin layer of butter over the top of the crab meat. once set, this thin layer of butter seals and preserves the crab meat up to 7 days.
- Cover with cling film and chill the pots in the fridge.