Curried Crab Soup
20 mins 4
Smooth Curried Crab Soup
Try this delicious, warming crab soup, perfect for lunch or as a starter at dinner. Easy to prepare and store for later.
- 250g brown crabmeat
- 100g chopped onions
- 1 eating apple, quartered but not peeled
- 1 garlic clove
- A pinch of cumin, turmeric and chilli powder
- English dried mustard and coriander.
- 55g butter
- 125ml medium dry sherry
- 750ml fish or chicken stock.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan, add the onions and cook until transparent.
- Crush the garlic onto the softened onions, stir in the spices, then add the apple with the crabmeat and sherry. Give everything a good stir.
- Turn down the heat as low as possible, cover the crabmeat with a sheet of grease proof paper and put the lid on the saucepan.
- Cook for 15 to 20 minutes until tender.
- Take the saucepan from the heat and pour in the stock.
- Have a plastic container ready - you need one large enough to hold the soup and allow a sieve to rest on top.
- Ladle the soup, a little at a time, into the liquidiser and work until smooth.
- Pour the blended soup into the sieve, coaxing it through into the container with a wooden spoon.
- Let the soup cool completely, then refrigerate.
- Serve with a garnish or with some buttered crusty bread