Ultimate Cornish Fish Pie
1 hr 5
Chunks of white fish and salmon in a creamy sauce, topped with mashed potatoes. Ingredients
- 1 x 1kg Fish Pie mix (feeds 5 people)
Fish Pie Sauce
Fish Bouillon (Knorr make a liquid or cubed stock that is ideal)
Milk, Butter and flour (bechamel)
- 1 x packet of white sauce mix
- (pst - we love adding Cornish mussels into ours too but it's perfect without and just using your fish pie mix)
- Peel and boil the potatoes, drain and allow to dry a little, mash, season and add butter to taste.
- Rinse and dry the fish mix
- Check for bones and place into a baking tray (oven to table is ideal). You can any mix of white fish, smoked fish, salmon and prawns.
- The ideal sauce for fish pie is a white wine sauce enriched with cream, or a bechamel. For this recipe 500ml of sauce will be sufficient.
- Make a white sauce (according to the makers instructions if you are using a packet), flavour with some fish stock. It is important to make the sauce thicker than normal as it will be thinned by the cooked fish juices. Add a little slaked cornflour to thicken if necessary.
- Pour the sauce over the raw fish and gently mix together; season to taste.
- Scatter some frozen peas on top of the mixture.
- Cover with the mashed potato, top with grated cheese and bake in a hot oven for 45 minutes.