An excellent shellfish stock recipe from Ann Long, Master Chef of Great Britain.
- 1kg shellfish shells or bones i.e. Crab Bones
- 2 onions, not peeled but sliced
- 2 carrots, not peeled but sliced
- 2 sticks of celery, chopped
- 1/2 litre white wine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- A few parsley stalks and a few thyme sprigs
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- And cracked peppercorns.
- A few things to remember
- Use a large heavy based saucepan with a lid.
- Do not be tempted to keep the stock in the pan...as soon as the cooked stock cooled, it should be strained into a large China or plastic container.
- It will keep up to 3 days covered in the refrigerator or stored in small containers,the stock may be kept frozen for 2 months.
- Always boil before using.
- Preheat the oven to 200 oC/mark 6.
- Place the shells in a large roasting tin and roast them for 10 minutes and then put them into the saucepan.
- Pour in 3 litres of water and bring the liquid to a simmer. Let the shells simmer like this for about an hour. Do not stir the shells- this makes the stock cloudy - but do skim off all the scum that rises to the surface.
- Use tongs to lift out most of the shells. Add the flavourings and continue to simmer for 30-40 minutes.
- Strain the cooled stock through a fine sieve lined with muslin.