Recipe by Ann Long, Master Chef of Great Britain
- 1kg fish bones (chopped into large pieces), fins and tails discarded.
- 2 onions with a few cloves pressed into them
- 2 carrots chopped, not peeled
- Celery leaves and base
- A few mushroom stalks
- A sprig of thyme
- A few parsley stalks
- 1/2 litre dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Put the fish bones, onions ,celery, carrots, wine ,lemon juice and 2 litres of water in a large stainless steel saucepan.
- Bring the liquid to a boil, then reduce to a strong simmer.
- Skim off all the scum that rises to the surface.
- Add the thyme, parsley and mushroom stalks.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer the stock for 20 minutes.
- Strain the stock through a fine sieve lined with muslin.
- Allow the stock to cool.