Lemon sole a la meuniere
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Serves: 1
This classic recipe is a delicious way to cook any flat fish
- 1 Sole per person (whole or filleted)
Unsalted butter (allow 50g per person)
Parsley/Dill/Coriander or chervil (chopped)
- Firstly, soften some butter in a bowl. Add the juice of half a lemon and the chopped fresh herbs.
- Place the mixture on to some cling film or grease proof paper and roll in to a sausage shape, twisting the ends to tightly compress the mixture. Place in the fridge to chill.
- (Flavoured butter will keep in the freezer for many weeks and is ideal for using with many dishes).
- Heat a non stick frying pan, add some vegetable oil and place the fish skin side downwards into the hot oil. Turn the fish once you have a golden, crispy skin.
- (Fillets will cook within two to 3 minutes; whole fish will take longer - 5 to 7 minutes. If you prefer, once the fish has been turned over cooking can finish in a moderate oven).
- Remove the fish from the pan and lay onto hot plates. Return the pan to a moderate heat and add some of the flavoured butter, allow to brown (but not burn). Finish with a squeeze of lemon and a roundel of butter.