Scallops with Barley Risotto
1 hr 4
Scallops with pearl barley risotto
A delicious twist on a seafood risotto
- 16 scallops cleaned,
- 2 beetroot
- 4 tbsp balsamic glaze
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 5 tbsp grated parmesan or other hard cheese
- 1 shallot
- 1 leek trimmed
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 cup of peas
- 1 cup of pearl barley
- 1 cup of white wine
- 1.5 cups of fish stock
- 4 tbsp chard pesto – or any pesto will do.
- Peel and dice the beetroot, toss with 1 tbsp oil and the balsamic glaze, season then roast in a 200°c oven for 45 minutes.
- Finely dice the shallot and slice the leek thinly at an angle. Sautè in a hot pan with 2tbsp butter and 1 tbsp oil until soft, season to taste.
- When the shallot and leek are soft add the garlic and the pearl barley, cook, stirring regularly for a couple of minutes.
- Pour in half the white wine and allow the barley to absorb it. Lower the heat and slowly add the rest of the stock and wine stirring constantly. This should take about 30 minutes.
- Season the scallops, brush with a little oil and set aside.
- When the barley is ready it will be firm but not crunchy. Add more stock if necessary.
- Add the peas, remaining butter and parmesan to the risotto, stir in and then take off the heat. Season taste again.
- Heat a non-stick pan until very hot. Add the scallops taking care not to overcrowd the pan. Sear them quickly for a minute or so on each side until golden brown. You may need to do this in a couple of batches.
- Plate the pearl barley with the roast beetroot and seared scallops, drizzle with pesto to garnish.
- Buy fresh Scallops online,
- Thanks to Chef Scott Jones @sconesarecool for sharing this recipe with us!