Salt and pepper squid
30 mins 4
Author: 4Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Serves:
Tender Cornish squid deep fried with a crispy salt & pepper coating
- Seafood Ingredients:
1kg fresh squid (to yield 500g of cleaned squid (tubes and tentacles) cut in thin rings.
- Other Ingredients:
- 250m groundnut oil, or enough to one-third fill a deep heavy-based pan.
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 2 tbsp semolina
- 1 tsp seasoning (a mixture of salt and ground black pepper and paprika).
- For the crispy squid, place the oil into a deep, heavy-based saucepan and heat until a small cube of bread sizzles and turns golden when dropped into it. (CAUTION: hot oil can be dangerous. Do not leave unattended.)
- While the oil's heating, place the cornflour, semolina and seasoning into a plastic freezer bag.
- Add the squid rings and tentacles to the bag and shake gently to coat the squid completely.
- When the oil is hot, fry the squid in batches until golden and crisp - two minutes per batch is all you should need. Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.