Fish and Chips
The Nation's Favourite - hot, fresh and delicious and simple to cook at home using either Sustainable Cod, or Cornish Hake.
- Preheat the oven to 150C and oil to 120C
- Peel the potatoes and cut to your preferred chip size. Then wash in cold water and pat dry
- Place potatoes into your fryer (set to 190C) and allow them to fry gently for about 8-10 minutes, until soft. If you don’t have a chip fryer fill a deep pot 1/3 full with sunflower oil and heat to 190C on the hob and fry using a metal basket/on a metal cooking spoon and use long tongs. If using this method cook small batches of potato. Don’t get too close and remove the oil from heat/reduce the heat regularly to avoid it getting too hot and spitting.
- Lift chips out of the oil/fryer and leave to cool
- Season the fish and dust with flour
- For the batter sift the flour and add a pinch of salt into a bowl. Whisk in the beer till it’s the consistency of thick double cream
- Season with salt and thickly coat your fish fillets with the batter
- Carefully place one fillet in the hot oil and cook for 8-10 minutes until golden and crispy. Remove from the pan, drain and sit on a baking sheet lined with greaseproof paper (keep warm in the oven while you cook additional fillets)
- Once the fish is cooked, return the chips to the fryer and cook for 2-3 minutes
- You’re ready to serve with your choice of peas, bread and butter or a simple lemon slice