Home-style Nigiri Sushi
10 mins 5
Home-style Nigiri Sushi
Recipe Type: RECIPE_TYPE
Nigiri Sushi is made with vinegar rice topped with a slice of raw or cooked fish.
- For the rice
- 250g Sushi rice
- 300ml Water
- 3 tablespoons sushi vinegar
- For the sushi vinegar
- 2 tablespoons/600ml white vinegar (e.g. rice wine or apple vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon/500g sugar
- 1 teaspoon/80g salt
- For the nigiri sushi
- Fresh fish (skinless and boneless)
- Vinegar rice
- Other suggested ingredients:
- Yellow fin Tuna
- Cooked peeled prawns
- Fish roe
- First things first, before you start making the Nigiri sushi, you need to prepare the vinegar rice.
- Before you start cooking, having the rice at the right consistency is crucial for making perfect sushi. If you do not have sushi rice, you can mix 10 parts of normal rice with 1 part of glutinous/Japanese rice an alternative.
- The rice to water ratio should be 1:1. If you are cooking more than 500g of rice, reduce the amount of water. You should not need to drain the rice after cooking.
- Before cooking, rinse the rice in a sieve under cold water until the water runs clear. Leave to dry for 1 hour.
- You need a rice cooker or a small pot with tight lid.If you are using a pot, add 300ml water and 250g rice. Cook on a high heat for 2 minutes. Next, turn the heat down as low as possible; cover with the lid and gently cook for 10 minutes. It's a good idea to keep a close watch in the last few minutes to avoid burning.
- Turn off the heat and replace the lid with a tea towel so that the rice can slowly cool down without losing too much moisture. Allow 10 to 15 minutes cooling time.
- Meanwhile, boil white vinegar, sugar and salt to make the sushi vinegar.
- Place the rice in a large salad bowl. Pour in the sushi vinegar bit by bit whilst mixing with gentle tossing motion to ensure the mixture is properly combined.
- Cover the bowl with tea towel again and leave to cool completely before using for sushi.Learn more about how to make vinegar rice for sushi.
- Making the Nigiri sushi
- Next, slice the fresh fish into small pieces.
- Now you need to have a pair of clean hands, a bowl of cold water and tablespoon.
- Wet your hands with some water. Take a spoon of cold vinegar rice and shape it into bite size pieces. Try not to press too hard.
- Lastly, gently place a piece of the fresh fish or avocado on top of the rice ball. A spoon of red fish roe on top would make an eye-catching garnish.