Crispy Focaccia Oysters
45 mins 12
Crispy Focaccia Oysters with Oyster Mayo
This Nathan Outlaw recipe from Great British Chefs might be simple to prepare, but the results are special enough to grace the platters at even the most elegant of parties.
- OYSTER MAYONNAISE
- 2 egg yolks
- juice of half a lemon
- 300ml of rapeseed oil
- 1 pinch of salt
- FRIED OYSTERS
- 50g of plain flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 100g of breadcrumbs, from a focaccia loaf
- Cornish sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- TO SERVE
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges to serve
- Begin by preparing the oyster mayonnaise. Place the egg yolks, lemon juice and two of the shucked oysters into a food processor and blend together for a few seconds.
- With the motor running, slowly pour in the rapeseed oil until it is fully incorporated and emulsified. Mix in the reserved juices from the oysters and a pinch of salt then transfer to a bowl and refrigerate until serving.
- For the fried oysters, place the plain flour in a shallow dish, the beaten egg in another dish and the focaccia breadcrumbs in a third. Season the flour with a little Cornish sea salt and ground black pepper.
- Preheat a deep-fryer to 180°C.
- Roll the oysters one at a time first in the seasoned flour, then the beaten egg and finally the focaccia breadcrumbs to create a thick, even coating. Place on a tray or plate ready to be fried.
- Deep-fry the oysters for 1 minute or until golden then drain any excess oil on kitchen paper. Serve with the oyster mayonnaise on the side and lemon wedges to squeeze over.
- Click here for the original recipe.