Whole BBQ Roasted Mullet
2o mins 4-6
Whole BBQ roasted red mullet with rosemary
A stunning but simple bbq cook for fans of the robust flavour of red mullet enhanced with rosemary and smokey bbq notes.
- 4 to 6 red mullet, scaled, gutted and cleaned
- 2-3 sprigs of rosemary
- Extra virgin olive oil for cooking
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- Just before cooking place a thin coating of oil across the cast iron surface.
- Place the skin side down onto your bbq cast iron plancha or pan.
- Press down with the flat of a fish slice to get even contact with the hot surface and close the lid.
- Allow to cook for 3-4 minutes then lift the lid to check. The fish will cook through quickly and the skin should crisp up nicely.
- Use a fish slice to lift the fish and turn onto the other side. Once cooked the fish will turn an opaque white colour instead of the more translucent appearance as when raw, you will see this along on the cooked side of the fish and the skin will be golden and crispy.
- Close the lid of the bbq and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- If you wish to check the internal temperature use an instant read thermometer which should read above 62 degrees in the thickest part of the fish.
- Remove from the bbq using the fish slice and serve immediately.
- The red mullet was served with roasted Cornish new potatoes and charred tender-stem broccoli.