Simple BBQ Mackerel
15 mins 4
A wonderfully simple BBQ mackerel recipe by BBQ Bill
This recipe is a simple bbq cook which adds crispy skin to the mackerel in a short easy to manage cook on the BBQ using a cast iron plancha plate commonly used in Spain for fish cookery.
- 4 to 6 mackerel butterfly filleted
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- Preheat a bbq with a lid to 200 degrees with cast iron plates or a large heavy cast iron pan which fits on the bbq with the lid down. In this cook I use a cast iron plancha plate which allows full contact with the fish skin and provides a hot surface to crisp the skin in the short cook time.
- Remove the fish from the fridge about half an hour before cooking. Just before cooking take the butterfly fillets of mackerel, season the flesh side and fold them to resemble the whole fish again as they are cooked on the skin sides only. Place a thin coating of oil across the cast iron surface.
- Place the fish fillets skin side down onto your bbq plancha or pan. Brush the top of each fillet with oil and close the lid. Allow to cook for 3-4 minutes before checking. The fish will cook through quite quickly and firm up to the touch and the skin will crisp up. When cooked the fish will turn an opaque white colour instead of the more translucent appearance as when raw.
- Use a fish slice to lift the fish and turn onto the other skin side. Close the lid of the bbq and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- If you wish to check the internal temperature use an instant read thermometer which should read above 62 degrees in the thickest part of the fish.
- Remove from the bbq using the fish slice and serve immediately.
- This dish was served with brown rice, tomato and cucumber salads and a squeeze of lemon. An alternative is to season the mackerel inside with smoked Spanish paprika which can be hot (picante) or sweet (dulce).