- By Fish
- By category
- By Season
Mixed Fish Chowder
In a medium sized saucepan, gently poach all the fish fillets in the milk with a bay leaf and a grinding of black pepper. The milk should just about cover the fish. Leave it for about 10 minutes on a low simmer.
Meanwhile in a separate pan, fry the onions in the butter until theyâre translucent. Add the chilli flakes if youâre using them. When the fish is cooked, remove it from the milk with a slotted spoon and set aside. Pour the milk and bay leaf in with the onions, and add the cubed potatoes. Simmer until the potatoes are soft â around 10 or so minutes. Then, add the cream, the wine, and the parsley. Stir, and add the fish back in too, being careful not to break it up too much. Add the prawns and taste and season accordingly.
minutes before serving, wilt in the spinach if youâre using it.
Serve in warmed bowls with plenty of buttered brown bread and a glass of zesty white to balance richness of the dish.
- 500g of smoked haddock fillets
- 250g of salmon fillets
- 250g of cod, coley, pollack or whiting fillets
- 100g of cooked, peeled king prawns, chopped in half if large
- 1 medium white onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp butter
- 450ml of full fat milk â gold top milk from jersey cows is perfect
- 350ml of single cream
- 50 ml of very dry white wine, or white vermouth
- 450g of potatoes, cubed
- 100g spinach (optional)
- Â½-1 teaspoon of dried chilli flakes (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- A generous handful of parsley, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Publication Date: September 14, 2020.