- By Fish
- By category
- By Season
Herring with Oats
Wipe the herrings with kitchen paper, then place them, flesh side up, on a plate and season well.
Dip both sides into seasoned flour, and pat to remove any excess.
Dip the flesh-side only first into the beaten egg, then the oatmeal, pressing it down firmly into their flesh.
Now heat the oil in a thick bottom frying pan over a medium-high heat until it's shimmering hot. Fry the herrings flesh side (oats/oatmeal side) down for 2-3 minutes, or until they look golden and crusty when you lift a little with a spatula/fork.
Flip them over using a spatula/fork and let them cook for another 1-2 minutes.
Drain on kitchen paper before serving with a sharp relish and some waxy potatoes.
Garnish with the parsley and lemon wedges.
- 3 medium-sized herrings butterfly filleted
- 100 g rolled oats/coarse pinhead oatmeal
- 2 heaped tablespoons plain flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1 large beaten egg in a shallow dish
- olive oil or vegetable oil
- sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
Publication Date: February 20, 2018.