- By Fish
- By category
- By Season
Toast the spice in a dry frying pan then grind to a powder. Put the ground spices into a pestle and mortar, add the preserved lemon, garlic, ginger, black pepper and salt, paprika and chilli flakes and grind to a smooth paste and to get the edges charred. Coast in the Chermoula and refrigerate for a couple of hours.
Take the body and lay flat on a chopping board, slicing through to the centre line along one side to form a series of cuts along the length. This will create more surface for the paste to cover, and will enable you to achieve the charred edges.
Set the BBQ for direct cooking at around 200-220c. Lay the squid and tentacles flat and cook for 3-4 minutes each side, looking for the flesh to turn white and opaque, rather than translucent as when raw, and hints of char on the chermoula paste.
Serve immediately with the chopped parsley and lemon wedges.
- 2tsp cumin seeds
- 2tsp coriander seeds
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly choppedâ¢ 2 cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp. sweet paprika
- 1 tsp. urfa chilli flakes or regular chilli flakes
- 2 preserved lemons, deseeded and chopped
- 1 tsp. salt
- Â½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 100ml olive oil
- 3-4 medium to large squid, cleaned
- fresh parsely, chopped to garnish
- lemon wedges to serve
Publication Date: December 12, 2018.