2hrs 10 4
Fresh chargrilled squid, infused with a delicious blend of earthy spices, smokey sweet paprika and a hint of chilli.
- 2tsp cumin seeds
- 2tsp coriander seeds
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped• 2 cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp. sweet paprika
- 1 tsp. urfa chilli flakes or regular chilli flakes
- 2 preserved lemons, deseeded and chopped
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 100ml olive oil
- 3-4 medium to large squid, cleaned
- fresh parsely, chopped to garnish
- lemon wedges to serve
- Toast the spice in a dry frying pan then grind to a powder. Put the ground spices into a pestle and mortar, add the preserved lemon, garlic, ginger, black pepper and salt, paprika and chilli flakes and grind to a smooth paste and to get the edges charred. Coast in the Chermoula and refrigerate for a couple of hours.
- Take the body and lay flat on a chopping board, slicing through to the centre line along one side to form a series of cuts along the length. This will create more surface for the paste to cover, and will enable you to achieve the charred edges.
- Set the BBQ for direct cooking at around 200-220c. Lay the squid and tentacles flat and cook for 3-4 minutes each side, looking for the flesh to turn white and opaque, rather than translucent as when raw, and hints of char on the chermoula paste.
- Serve immediately with the chopped parsley and lemon wedges.